WHAT EXACTLY IS MAC?
The acronym MAC stands for the Manhattan Association of Cabarets. MAC is a trade organization — designation, 501C6 — with a dues-paying membership. It is classified as not-for-profit. This should not be confused with a charity or foundation classified as a non-profit designation, 501C3. Contributions to MAC are not tax deductible as they would be to a charity. If you treat your performing/artistic career as a business for tax purposes, you may be able to deduct your membership dues as a business expense; consult your accountant.
Generally, people who give money to MAC do so in order to support the live performing arts, since there is no other financial benefit or “write-off” for a contribution beyond, possibly, one’s dues.
HOW DID MAC START?
MAC was founded in 1983 as an organization of businesspeople in the cabaret industry, comprising club owners, booking agents, managers, journalists and publicists. Its original intent was “to heighten the public’s awareness of cabaret as an art form”* and to unify and empower the various cabarets around NYC. MAC’s purpose was primarily about improving the climate in which the business of owning and running those clubs was conducted and, when necessary, to serve as an advocate for those in the cabaret business.
*(Taken from MAC’s original Statement of Purpose).
HOW DOES MAC WORK?
MAC has evolved to accommodate its increasing size and the wants and needs of its membership. It is a corporation and thus has a Board of Directors, elected by the membership. The Board in turn elects its Officers. Per NY state law, its business is of public record.
It is a volunteer organization and solicits the help and involvement of its members to assist the Board with various tasks. This ranges from helping with mailings, staffing tables for MAC Seminars and Songwriters Showcases, to backstage gofers for the annual MAC Awards show. Members are encouraged to volunteer for various Committee work and, if they are willing, to devote the time and commitment required to run for and serve on the Board of Directors.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF A MAC MEMBERSHIP?
• Members have access to the MAC member mailing list, offered in a choice of formats, for use in publicizing events, shows, CD releases, etc.
• The majority of members discount cover charges for their shows to MAC members, making seeing each other’s work more affordable.
• MAC occasionally offers free seminars to its members, covering a broad range of both art- and business-related topics of interest.
• MAC serves as an advocate for its membership. At various times over its history, MAC has been an active participant in dialogues designed to change or overturn legislation adversely affecting our community of performers and clubs. Please see the HISTORY page to read more about what MAC has done for New York’s live entertainment community over the years.
• MAC members are eligible to submit their own work for the annual MAC Awards.
WHY SHOULD MY CLUB JOIN MAC?
• MAC provides opportunities for clubs to participate in more affordable, group advertising.
• MAC member clubs also receive the MAC Mailing List, in a choice of three formats, for use in their promotional campaigns, event calendar mailings, etc.
• MAC provides a decal that a club may display to identify itself as a MAC member club, announcing that it is a valued, active member of MAC and New York’s live entertainment community.
CAN I GET HEALTH INSURANCE THROUGH MAC?
Over the course of its 20 year history, MAC has looked into whether it is possible to offer its members health insurance. Periodically, MAC revisits this question and the recurring conclusion is that it is not economically feasible for MAC members to obtain their health insurance through the organization.
WHAT ARE THE MAC AWARDS?
Originally, MAC Awards were simply given by the Board of Directors to whoever they felt had made a contribution to live entertainment—be it a business person, local performer, dedicated critic or cabaret luminary. The awards are now voted on by the membership, and are presented during a ceremonty every year.
Please see the HISTORY page for more background on the MAC Awards.
WHEN AND HOW MAY I USE THE MAC LOGO?
There are three instances in which the MAC logo may be used in your promotional materials, ads, etc.
• You may use the logo to indicate you or someone in your show is a MAC member, e.g., “John Doe is a proud member of [MAC logo].”
• You may use the logo to indicate you are either a MAC Award nominee or Award winner, e.g., “[MAC logo] Award nominee John Doe” or “[MAC logo] Award winner Betty Smith”
• You may use the logo when offering a cover discount to your show to MAC members, e.g., “$15 cover, $10 cover for [MAC logo] members”
Please contact MAC with any further questions about the logo so we may address them before you print a flyer or create an ad, to make sure the logo usage is completely understood.
HOW CAN I CONTACT MAC FOR FURTHER INFO?
If you still have questions, please do not hesitate to contact us:
General Email: [email protected]
Phone: (855) MACNYC-1